Greetings! With the most significant event of the USLMRA 2015 season, this year’s 23rd Annual STA-BIL 360 Performance Nationals event at Charlotte Motor Speedway just weeks away, I feel that everyone needs a reminder that their race mowers MUST comply with the 2015 USLMRA Rule Book!
As with past events, we have taken the stance that we do everything possible to allow all racers to take part in racing events for that day – however, with the large number of racers expected and the tight schedule we will be required to follow this year, it is imperative that all mowers are to the USLMRA standard.
Remember… this is not just a USLMRA National Event – it’s The STA-BIL 360 Performance Nationals!
The past several weeks the USLMRA staff has received numerous e-mails and phone calls from racers throughout the country questioning clarification of the rules and types of fuel allowed to be used in mowers. The bottom line here is that everything needed to know is outlined in the rule book and can be downloaded here.
Some specific items of concern are as follows:
- Governed Engine classes (JP, IMOW, GPK, & GP), engines must be completely stock! With the exception of exhaust. Other words, as removed from a grass cutting mower with no modifications, example; Starter, air cleaner, double batteries, or internal modifications.
- Throttle cables must be secured so that RPM cannot be increased by pulling them on Governed classes stated above. This will be checked closely!
- Fuel can only be fuel bought from service stations (pumped Gas), like SUNOCO, Marathon gas stations that sell 100 octane or VP racing fuel. No Alcohol or other type of additives of any type can be used.
- Mowers MUST be clearly marked with Correct class, Number, and Sta-Bil Stickers and be clearly visible from at least 100 feet. This is to assist Timing and Scoring and the Chief Steward during the race and during line up. Which means lettering/Numbers must stand out clearly. This is a day race so adjust your mower markings accordingly. This is repeated regularly at drivers meeting, however drivers continuously fail to comply.
- Mowers must be clean and free of oil and fuel leaks prior to coming through Technical Inspection. Many have been identified to have fuel & oil leaks and rejected. Again this is repeated regularly at drivers meeting, however drivers continuously fail to comply.
- In every class original engine block assemblies must be used, example; cylinder block, sumps, side covers and cylinder heads. The only exception is the valve cover which Billet/aftermarket valve covers can be used to allow clearance for roller rockers if used. What does this mean? Billet side covers and sumps or forged Aftermarket Cylinder heads are illegal.
- Correct tire type and sizes for class running may be used, example no Hoosier tires in prepared classes.
- All Prepared must have shift able transmissions with an exposed shifter lever and an operational Clutch which engages/disengages the driveline.
- Nerf Bars / Side rails will be permitted on all Classes of mowers as allowed in FXS/FXT to protect the driver’s feet from side collisions. They will be mounted on the running boards.
- When going through Tech ensure you bring the complete mower, which means with hood and transponder, no exceptions!
- Only the driver will accompany the mower thru tech with the exception of minors a parent may accompany them. This is to eliminate crowding around the tech line.
- Remember only FXS/FXT can have the axles offset as stated in the rule book.
- All Positive Battery cables will be covered at all connection( Starter, Solenoid, Battery) with tape or Boot covers.
This reminder is not intended to discourage anyone from attending, but rather to encourage all to download the USLMRA Rule Book and read it! Then, if any questions arise, contact the USLMRA for clarification of the rules.
Again we will do everything possible to allow everyone to race, but Local Chapter Presidents and Drivers must also do their part in ensuring their mowers are prepared for inspection to USLMRA Standard.
We look forward to seeing you at the STA-BIL 360 Performance Nationals weekend, have a safe journey!
National Tech Director
LEAVE A COMMENT